Germany & Portugal
*Education Abroad programs have been cancelled for Summer 2021*
The McCoy College of Business and the Department of Communication Studies is excited to announce the 2021 undergraduate Study Abroad program to Germany and Portugal.
Be a part of this interdisciplinary education abroad program at Texas State! In this program, you will have the opportunity to learn about communication in the workplace while visiting multiple locations across Europe. Our program will take us to Berlin, Germany followed by Porto and Lisbon, Portugal. Learning will take place through interactive classroom discussions/lectures, business site visits, cultural experiences, engaging walking tours, and other hands-on opportunities.
The Program Faculty
This program is led by Dr. Seth Frei (Management Department) and Dr. Stephanie Dailey (Communication Studies Department). Dr. Frei has a background in business communication and has taught at Texas State since 2013. He has experience participating in a number of Study Abroad programs visiting countries including England, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Austria, and Belgium. Dr. Dailey has a background in organizational communication and has taught at Texas State since 2014. She participated in a Study Abroad program in Spain and has conducted organizational communication research in Brazil and India.
Want to learn more?
What if COVID-19 prevents us from traveling abroad?
We are actively working on a plan to offer the same courses in a virtual/hybrid format. This format would give you the opportunity to take the classes from the United States, while virtually experiencing many of the same tours and site-visits from Germany and Portugal. While the experience would not be the same as traveling, it would still open your eyes to communication in businesses around the world. This plan is still being developed, and more details will be posted when they are available and if travel is deemed unsafe.
What Courses Are Offered?
McCoy College of Business students will earn 7 credit hours from these two courses:
- MGT3453 – Business Communication & Professional Development
- MGT4390V – Professional Skills for the Global Workplace
Communication Studies majors will earn 6 credit hours from these two courses:
- COMM3316C – Communication and Identity in International Work Cultures
- COMM3316D – Professional Skills for the Global Workplace
What Are The (Tentative) Dates?
- Education Abroad programs have been cancelled for Summer 2021
What is the Expected Cost?
The budget is still being finalized, and will be posted here as soon as possible.
The program fee includes:
- Application fee ($200)
- Program deposit ($300)
- Tuition (6 hours Comm Studies/7 hours Business)
- Lodging in hotels for 18 nights
- All breakfasts and 3 dinners
- Local transportation (Including Germany-Portugal flight) and admission for all cultural visits
- Business visits and city walking tours
- International health and emergency insurance
Program fee does not include:
- Flights to/from Europe, personal excursions and expenses, passport application fees, or all meals.