CEO of Avanzar Interior Technologies GP, LLC
Berto Guerra is Chairman – CEO of Avanzar Interior Technologies GP, LLC, an automotive interiors manufacturing company. He retired as Vice President-Legislative and Constituency Affairs for SBC (now AT&T). His responsibilities included oversight of legislative activity in SBC’s US region, PAC (Political Action Committee) solicitation and monitoring, and external education for elected officials, regulators and 3rd Party constituency groups.
Guerra began his career with Southwestern Bell in 1978 as a business office supervisor. He progressed through a number of positions in customer services and external affairs. Prior to his last assignment, Guerra was Executive Vice President-National Constituency Relations overseeing minority, disabled, education, consumer and senior constituent groups. He also served as Executive Vice President-External Affairs for Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, managing director-corporate development for SBC Communications Inc. and as President of Southwestern Bell International Development.
Before joining the SBC family of companies, Guerra served in an owner or manager capacity for various hotel, restaurant and movie theater businesses in Texas. He owned and operated three family restaurants from 1968 to 1974.
- Distinguished Alumnus Texas State University, 2007
- 2007 Business Owner of the year, San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- UTSA Development Board, from 1998 to present.
- Immediate past chair for the Free Trade Alliance Executive Committee of San Antonio, 2007–2010.
- Treasurer of El Centro Del Barrio-CentroMed of San Antonio, 1997 to present
- Vice Chairman and Organizer of San Antonio National Bank
- Board of Directors of MTC, Inc., (Mi Tierra Café)
- Board of Directors of M.T.C. Real Estate (a real estate development company)
- Director for Cinemark, USA de Mexico Inc. (second largest theater company in Mexico)
- Board of Trustees for Abilene Christian University, 2002 to present
- Deacon at Northside Church of Christ, 2002 to present
- Board of Trustees for Younglife (Global), 2005 to present
- Board of Directors for ¡Adelante! a U.S. Education Leadership Fund, 1998 to present
- Board of Directors for SAMMinistries, 2001 to present
- Board of Directors for Medport, Inc., 2002 to present
- Board of Directors for Conceptual MindWorks Inc., 1995 to present
- Board of Directors for After School All Stars, 2003 to present
- US Presidential appointment to the Hispanic Alliance on Free Trade, 1990
- Officer and Board Member, TAMACC (Texas Assoc. of Mexican-American Chambers of Commerce) 1980 and 1996
- Chairman, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Austin/Travis County, 1987–1989
- United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Senior Executive Council Advisory Board (SECAB), 1989–2007
- Board of Directors for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute thru 2007
- Cuban American National Council, Inc., 1998–2006
- Chairman of the Free Trade Alliance Executive Committee of San Antonio, 2003–2006
- Chairman for the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 2000
- University of Texas-Pan American Foundation, 1989–1999
- Board of Directors for the Rosa Verde Family Health Group, 2003–2006
- Board of Directors for Project MEND, Inc., 2002–2007
- Board of Directors for ACCION, 2003–2006Advisory Board member, Laredo National Bank, 1998–2007
- Director, Cinemark USA, Inc. (third largest theatre company in U.S.), 1990–2004
- Director, Pizza Mgmt., Inc. (Pizza Hut franchise with over 250 restaurants), 1986–1992
Born in Roma, Texas, and raised in Corpus Christi, Guerra received a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Interdisciplinary Management from Texas State University in 1984. He also completed the Penn State Executive Management Program in 1991. He and his wife, Tammy, have four children and five grandchildren.