Highlights of 2013 Business Leadership Week
Business Leadership Week 2013: Think Globally
The theme for 2013 was meant to engage students and the local community on the topic of globalization and bring awareness to the complex geographic, political, and economic interconnectedness of today's world.
Some highlights of the week included an interactive business organization leadership fair, a mini-case competition student organizations competed in, an etiquette dinner, leadership panel and several guest speakers.
Approximately 3,400 attendees participated in events throughout the week.
Keynote Speaker: Ms. Deanna Okun, Former Chairman of the United States International Trade Commission
Distinguished Lecture: Ms. Mrinalini Ingram, Senior Director of Strategy & Business Development for Smart+Connected Communities (S+CC) at Cisco
Executive Leadership Panel: Rosalba Ojeda, Consul General of Mexico; Lyndon Olson, Jr., Former U.S. Ambassador to Sweden; John Meeks, SVP of Corporate Development at McCoy's Building Supply
Mini-Case Competition for Student Organizations
Interactive Fair in McCoy Hall
Etiquette Dinner with Diane Gottsman, Founder of The Protocol School of Texas
Guest Speakers Included:
- Jonas Haertle, Head of the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) Secretariat of the United Nations Global Compact Office
- Pete Hasbrook, Associate Program Scientist International Space Station at National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- John King, Founding Partner and CEO of Cultural Architecture, Inc. and the Cultural Architecture Institute
- Kenneth Lavergne, Financial Analyst at ConocoPhillips
- Adriano Bosoni, Europe Analyst at Stratfor
- Christy Muse, Co-Founder and Executive Director at Hill Country Alliance
- Hector Estrada, North American Customs Manager, Southern Border at C.H. Robinson
- Howard Williams, Chief of Police Department at City of San Marcos
- Jay Hiebert, Entrepreneur at ABJ Farms and Adjunct Instructor at Texas State University
- Klaus Chavanne, Head of Research at MEAG New York Corporation
- Michael Raiford, VP of the Manufacturing/Systems Division at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS)
- Lee Blum, Retired SAP Project Manager for Oil & Gas Applications at ExxonMobil
- Maurizio Turri, Account Manager for SencorpWhite
- Mehron Azarmehr, Immigration Attorney and Founder of Azarmehr & Associates, P.C.
- Steve Papermaster, Chairman and CEO, DaQiao Group
- Troy Nalls, Entrepreneur
- Whit Hanks, Founder of Whit Hanks Properties and Entrepreneur
- Craig Miller, Director of Global Sales, Marketing and Service at Mensor/WIKA
………. Student Feedback ……….
Leadership Panel -
“The event reminded me of the importance of being open-minded and respectful, while still holding on to my values.”
Keynote Speaker: Deanna Okun -
“Ms. Okun was probably my favorite speaker that I had the opportunity to go to during business leadership week. She was very aspiring and willing to talk about the different aspects of her job. I would highly recommend bring her back as a speaker in the future.”
Bloomberg Businessweek Mini-Case Competition -
“I enjoyed how my team got together and learned about the topic.”
Guest Speaker: Michael Raiford -
“I thought Mr. Raiford was fantastic. I learned all about a different type of company and how to adjust and deal with diversity and people of all different ethnicities. I learned about the "business world" from his point of view and it really opened my eyes to a different type of company and how his company is ran.”
Distinguished Lecture: Mrinalini Ingram -
“I definitely learned more about globalization from a person that has had the opportunity to travel all over the world and knows what it feels like to live in different countries. The experiences that she shared with us made an impact on me; even after her lecture I continue to share some of her examples with family and friends.”