SPEAKERS & HIGHLIGHTS
Business Leadership Week was designed to engage the Texas State community in discussions relating to ethical, sustainable, and whole-mind business leadership. The 2010 event attendance of 850 was more than double the previous year and growth is expected to continue as we attract high profile speakers in the future.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 8:
Spotlight Address, Richard Garriot -
"Historical Fantasy to Living in Space - Dreams We Can All Follow!"
- McCoy College Ambassadors, honors students, and faculty joined Richard Garriott for an informal conversation prior to his spotlight address.
- During his spotlight address, Richard Garriot, a pioneer of computer gaming and a second-generation astronaut, encouraged students to seek new horizons in their academic and professional lives.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9:
- Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) sponsored the Interview Express event which provided students with the opportunity to engage in mock-interviews and learn interviewing tips to help them succeed with their upcoming interviews.
Guest Lecture with John C. Oehlke of Coca-Cola
- Mr. John C. Oehlke, VP of the South Region for Coca-Cola North America, presented "Five Lessons from Today's Corporate Workplace", which shared insights he has learned from over 21 years of experience working for a leading multinational company.
- The Business Leadership Week Executive Panel, "Perceptions of Leadership", was sponsored by the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP), Collegiate Entrepreneurs' Organization (CEO), and Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
- The "Perceptions of Leadership" panel included a diverse group of executives from national and local companies, such as, The Coca-Cola Company, McCoy's Building Supple, Merrill Lynch, Priority Personnel, and Samsung.
- Students were provided the unique opportunity to network with the executive panelists before they took the stage for the panel discussion.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 10:
Business Leadership Etiquette Dinner featuring Diane Gottsman
- Etiquette dinner, "Good Manners, Good Business", was led by Diane Gottsman of the Protocol School of Texas.
- Gottsman, a nationally recognized etiquette expert, taught students business professional and dining etiquette through an interactive dinner presentation.
Download the handout from Business Leadership Ettiquette Dinner with Diane Gottsman.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 11:
Business Leadership Workshop with Ron Kessler
- Ron Kessler led an interactive workshop, "How Can I Grow as a Leader", to challenge student leaders to take their leadership skills to the next level.
- As an experienced leadership coach, Ron Kessler, tailored the session to the individual students present to help them develop strategies to improve their leadership skills.
Is Graduate School the Right Choice for Me?
- Dr. Robert Davis, Director of Graduate Programs, conducted an interactive session designed to address key questions students need to answer as they consider graduate school.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12:
Kohl's on the Runway at Texas State
- Kohl's and the American Marketing Association (AMA) at Texas State led a fashion show and "dress for success" presentation to teach students about professional dress and etiquette.
Business Leadership Round Table
- McCoy College leaders shared their insight and experiences with "Real-World Ethical and Whole-Mind Leadership" during a round table discussion.
- The session was facilitated by Dr. Robert Konopaske, associate professor in the Department of Management.